London is gearing up for the 2nd dedicated auction of Modern & Contemporary African Art at Sotheby’s. This year’s auction sees artworks by 62 artists representing 16 countries: Algeria, Morocco, Benin, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, South Africa, Swaziland, and Zimbabwe. The selection of art on offer includes paintings, photographs, drawings and sculpture from the 20th and 21st centuries.
Among the works on offer are internationally recognized names: Yinka Shonibare MBE, Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Ben Enwonwu, Cherie Samba and Kudzanai Chiurai. In addition to this are works by artists who have never been, or are rarely offered at international auction: Ibrahima Mahama, Mohau Modisakeng, and Athi-Patra Ruga.
Sotheby’s is a London founded international auction house that has a long prestigious history of uniting collectors around the globe with the very best artworks. The sale was compiled by Hannah O’Leary, Head of Modern and Contemporary Art at Sotheby’s; and Sharon Obuobi and Adriana La Lime, Junior Cataloguers of Modern and Contemporary African Art.
Artworks in the Modern & Contemporary African Art collection are available for public viewing until the 27th March 2081, with the auction held on 28 March 2018.
The images shown from top credited are as follows:
Aida Muluneh, The World is 9 (the Age of Anxiety)
Ibrahim Mahama, Chale Wote
Bodys Isek Kingelez, Base King
Eddy Kamuanga Ilunga, Mangbetu
Njideka Akunyili Crosby, A La Warhol
Photography by Malick Sidibe and J.D. Okhai Ojeikere
– Tapiwa Matsinde
For further information about the auction visit: www.sothebys.com
For further information about Sotheby’s visit: www.sothebys.com
[Image credits: The images belong to Tapiwa Matsinde. If downloaded and used elsewhere please credit accordingly.]
atelier | 55 is an inspirational design and lifestyle resource, that shines the spotlight on contemporary design from and inspired by Africa.
- What Having A Dedicated Startup Act Means For Africa’s Creative Entrepreneurs
- S2 Ep 7 Behind The Design Season 2 Wrap Up and Reflections
- S2 Ep 6 Creating Sustainable Livelihoods Through the Creative Economy with Achenyo Idachaba-Obaro Founder MitiMeth
- S2 Ep 5 Creating Sustainable Design and Not Being Afraid of Stepping into Business with Boldness with Dounia Tamri-Loeper
- S2 Ep4 Talking Self-belief, the Responsibility that Comes with Privilege and Having the Confidence to Seize the Opportunities with Thabisa Mjo