African-Print Fashion Now is an exhibition that recognises the significance of the ever-popular African print fabrics. The exhibition at the Fowler Museum explores the diverse and dynamic traditions of African dress; ranging from the styles created by local tailors to those destined for international catwalks.
Ubiquitous across the African continent, in particular, West Africa, African print is synonymous with African fashion and style, and in recent years has influenced global trends with the likes of Burberry and L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani using the fabrics in their catwalk collections.
The exhibition charters the history and rise of the print cloths taking the visitor through the introduction by Dutch traders, local post-independence production to made in China.
African-Print Fashion Now features the designs of leading and emerging African fashion designers among them: Ituen Basi, Gilles Touré, Lanre da Silva Ajayi, Titi Ademola, Lisa Folawiyo, Dent de Man, Adama Paris, Patricia Waota, Ikiré Jones, and Afua Dabanka.
And in highlighting the fabrics role in all aspects of African life the exhibition also incorporates contemporary photography from the likes of Omar Victor Diop, Leonce Raphael Agbodjelou, and Hassan Hajjaj; paintings by Njideka Akunyili Crosby and Eddy Kamuanga Ilunga; and a mural by graffiti artist Docta.
– Tapiwa Matsinde
For further information about African-Print Fashion Now! visit: www.fowler.ucla.edu/exhibitions/african-print-fashion-now/
[Image credits: The images shown belong to the Fowler Museum. If downloaded and used elsewhere please credit accordingly.]
atelier | 55 is an inspirational design and lifestyle resource, that shines the spotlight on contemporary design from and inspired by Africa.
- What Having A Dedicated Startup Act Means For Africa’s Creative Entrepreneurs
- S2 Ep 7 Behind The Design Season 2 Wrap Up and Reflections
- S2 Ep 6 Creating Sustainable Livelihoods Through the Creative Economy with Achenyo Idachaba-Obaro Founder MitiMeth
- S2 Ep 5 Creating Sustainable Design and Not Being Afraid of Stepping into Business with Boldness with Dounia Tamri-Loeper
- S2 Ep4 Talking Self-belief, the Responsibility that Comes with Privilege and Having the Confidence to Seize the Opportunities with Thabisa Mjo