First observed in the early 1900s, Women’s Day has grown into a day of appreciation; inspiring women, celebrating their achievements and acknowledging the challenges still to be overcome. The Day sees a diverse range of events being held across the globe and in some countries today has become a tradition taken as a holiday, which sees men taking the time to honour their Mother’s, wives, girlfriends and colleagues with symbolic gifts. In celebration of the Day, French skin care care company L’Occitaine has created a special limited edition African Shea butter bar of soap produced in Burkina Faso in partnership with a local factory that has been run by women since 2010.
[Image credit: L’Occitane Women’s Day Soap]
The Women’s Day Soap has a high concentration of Shea butter in each bar to help moisturise and nourish as it cleanses. The packaging was designed to echo the colourful patterned dresses worn by the women and 100% of every bar sold goes to the L’Occitane Foundation, which is helping to fund the building of literacy centres in Burkina Faso as part of a collaboration with the NGO, Aide et Action.
atelier | 55 is an inspirational design and lifestyle resource, that shines the spotlight on contemporary design from and inspired by Africa.
- S2 Ep 6 Creating Sustainable Livelihoods Through the Creative Economy with Achenyo Idachaba-Obaro Founder MitiMeth
- S2 Ep 5 Creating Sustainable Design and Not Being Afraid of Stepping into Business with Boldness with Dounia Tamri-Loeper
- S2 Ep4 Talking Self-belief, the Responsibility that Comes with Privilege and Having the Confidence to Seize the Opportunities with Thabisa Mjo
- S2 Ep 3 Building on the Legacy of the Family Business and Nurturing the Next Generation with Audrey Forson
- S2 Ep 2 Having the Courage to Step Away from Your Dream and Start Over with Lola Ukinamemen of Agnes & Lola