In an example of contemporary architecture in Africa Villaggio II, one of Accra’s premium residential developments was shortlisted for the 2012 Best Tall Building Awards, held by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Completed in 2011, the main tower of the development is an imposing block-like structure that stands at 30 storeys high and is the tallest structure of its kind in Ghana and the West African region. The Villaggio II complex was designed by UK based architects, Allford Hall Monaghan Morris, and comprises four buildings containing 200 apartments, an office and retail space plus a restaurant and gym. The Tower is characterised by a hard to miss, colourful facade that was inspired by traditional Kente fabrics and makes it a local landmark. Villaggio II was designed to cater to the needs of Ghana’s growing middle class and professionals, as well as an increasing number of returnees.
[Image credit: Villaggio II – Allford Hall Monaghan Morris]
[Image credit: Villaggio II, Exterior, Lobby and Rooftop Pool – Allford Hall Monaghan Morris]
Given Ghana’s climate environmental factor’s were taken into account and the building was designed to keep cool inside, whilst keeping the heat out. Heavily insulated the buildings have rainscreens and recessed and shaded windows that partially open. The buildings also feature solar panels to provide hot water. The luxury apartments are built around large, semi enclosed sky courtyards providing views over the City as well as shade for when it gets to hot. There is a pool and gardens on the roof, secure unground parking and a lobby with concierge service. Outside the surrounds feature spaces landscaped with local species of trees and shrubs to provide external shady areas; and pools of water set into locally produced interlocking paving provides relaxing areas for residence to sit or wade in.
…contemporary architecture in Africa
atelier | 55 is an inspirational design and lifestyle resource, that shines the spotlight on contemporary design from and inspired by Africa.
- S2 Ep 7 Behind The Design Season 2 Wrap Up and Reflections
- S2 Ep 6 Creating Sustainable Livelihoods Through the Creative Economy with Achenyo Idachaba-Obaro Founder MitiMeth
- S2 Ep 5 Creating Sustainable Design and Not Being Afraid of Stepping into Business with Boldness with Dounia Tamri-Loeper
- S2 Ep4 Talking Self-belief, the Responsibility that Comes with Privilege and Having the Confidence to Seize the Opportunities with Thabisa Mjo
- S2 Ep 3 Building on the Legacy of the Family Business and Nurturing the Next Generation with Audrey Forson